Now Available Separate from the Units of Study for Teaching Reading!
The Guide to the Reading Workshop, first introduced as a part of the Units of Study for Teaching Reading, is now available for separate purchase. The Guide can be an essential manual for principals, curriculum coordinators, coaches, and others who are supporting implementation of Units of Study—or for anyone wanting to learn more about reading workshop.
The Guide to the Reading Workshop offers a comprehensive but concise introduction to:
- The Units of Study Series: mission, background, history, relationship to state standards including CCSS
- The essentials of reading instruction
- The big picture of a reading workshop
- The architecture and principals that inform minilessons
- Classroom management in reading workshop
- Effective conferring and small-group strategies and resources
- Ways to launch and teach into book clubs
- Using read-alouds to teach the skills of proficient reading
- The special importance of nonfiction reading
- Supporting all learners: RTI, using data to drive instruction, supporting ELD