Purchase Recommendation: Choose Kindergarten Units of Study with Trade Book Pack if your library does not already include the 3 mentor texts referenced in the Unit. If you do not need the trade book pack, purchase the Kindergarten Units of Study without Trade Book Pack (as shown here).
About the Kindergarten Units
The kindergarten units begin with Lucy and her colleagues helping children approximate writing by drawing and labeling first in all-about books and then in stories. The first unit, Launching the Writing Workshop, acknowledges that most children will be labeling their drawings—and the letters in those labels will include squiggles and diamonds. The second unit, Writing for Readers, helps children write true stories—but does so fully aware that the hard part will be writing read-able words. Growth in kindergarten is spectacular, and by the later kindergarten units, children are invited to use their new-found powers to live writerly lives. In How-To Books: Writing to Teach Others, Unit 3, students write informational how-to texts on a procedure familiar to them. In Persuasive Writing of All Kinds: Using Words to Make a Change, the fourth and final unit in the kindergarten series, students craft petitions, persuasive letters, and signs that rally people to address problems in the classroom, the school, and the world.
About the Series
Lucy Calkins and her colleagues have drawn on their work from more than three decades to develop a state-of-the-art curriculum in writing to:
- help you teach opinion, information, and narrative writing with increasing complexity
- foster high-level thinking, including regular chances to synthesize, analyze, and critique
- develop and refine strategies for content-area writing
- support greater independence and fluency
- conduct strategic performance assessments to help monitor students’ progress and differentiate instruction
- provide a ladder of exemplar texts that model writing progressions across grades.
Components of the Kindergarten product bundle—with New Resources!
- Large-Format Anchor Chart Post-it® notes—New!
- Online Resources for Teaching Writing—New Format!
- Online Spanish translations of important student resources—includes Spanish translations of writing samples to use with Writing Pathways, student checklists, Anchor Chart Sticky Notes, and numerous other classroom materials such as daily charts and folders. Also available are lists of Spanish-language mentor texts—New!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
Four Units of Study
- organized around the three types of writing mandated by the Common Core: opinion/argument, information, and narrative writing
- lay out 4-5 weeks of instruction (16-18 sessions) in each unit
- include all of the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work needed to teach a comprehensive workshop curriculum
- model Lucy and her colleagues’ carefully crafted teaching moves and language
A Guide to the Writing Workshop, Primary Grades
- crystallizes the essential principles, methods, and structures of effective writing workshop instruction (The Guide, now available for separate purchase, can be an essential manual for principals, curriculum coordinators, coaches, and others who are supporting implementation of Units of Study—or for anyone wanting to learn more about writing workshop).
If… Then… Curriculum
- offers additional units of study
- presents if/then conferring scenarios that support targeted instruction and differentiation
Writing Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions
- organized around a grades K-5 learning progression across opinion, information, and narrative writing
- includes performance assessments, student checklists, rubrics, and leveled writing exemplars
View Now! Units of Study for Teaching Writing Video Orientations, Grades K-8
Save when you purchase related cost-saving bundles, with or without trade book packs:
Select the Grade-Level Units you need most, available both with and without the trade book packs:
With trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5
Without trade book packs: Kindergarten / Grade 1 / Grade 2 / Grade 3 / Grade 4 / Grade 5 / Grade 6 / Grade 7 / Grade 8
To learn more about the Units of Study in Opinion/Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing series, visit UnitsofStudy.com