Purchase Recommendation: Choose the Mystery Unit with the Trade Book Pack if your library does not already include the mentor texts referenced in the Unit. If you do not need the trade book pack, purchase the Mystery Unit without the Trade Book Pack (as shown in this product bundle).
About the Unit
Mysteries are the perfect vehicle for teaching foundational skills that lie at the heart of engaged reading. Students leap at the chance to do the work required to “get” the mystery, following ideas across their texts, seeing cause-and-effect relationships, and predicting outcomes. And, of course, mysteries naturally push kids to infer—to notice clues and to wonder more about them; to consider how part of one chapter relates back to what was learned in an earlier chapter; and to wonder when characters are really telling the truth.
In this unit, students will:
- Learn to read closely to catch key details,
- Learn to think back over and accumulate details, developing hunches, suspicions, predictions
- Become more skilled at gathering information from texts by rereading and annotating
- Transfer what they learn about mysteries to other types of fiction
- This unit is intended to follow Building a Reading Life in the Units of Study series and to reinforce many of the key lessons on foundational skills taught in that unit. It can, however, also come later in the year. Its clear instructional arc will support and engage a wide range of learners.
About the Four Additional Units
The Teachers College Reading and Writing Project and Heinemann are proud to announce the release of four additional book-length units of study, each addressing an especially key topic from the Units of Study If...,Then… books.
These new book-length units have been written to fit tongue and groove into the original Units of Study, yet each can also work as a self-contained stand-alone unit, offering you a chance to try on the experience of teaching with the Units before moving to the complete series.
Learn more about the Additional Units
Note: All Additional Units include Anchor Chart Sticky Note Packs. Word Detectives also includes Read-Aloud Prompts Sticky Notes. Trade Packs for each of the new units are recommended and available separately. The How-To Guide for Nonfiction Writing requires no separate Trade Pack.
View Now! Units of Study for Teaching Reading Video Orientations, Grades K-8
Save when you purchase related cost-saving Units of Study for teaching reading bundles, with or without trade book packs:
Select the Grade-Level Units you need most, available both with and without the trade book packs
To learn more about the Units of Study for Teaching Reading series, visit UnitsofStudy.com