Purchase Recommendation: Choose the Grade 5 Units of Study with the Trade Book Pack if your library does not already include the mentor texts referenced in the Units. If you do not need the trade book pack, purchase the Grade 5 Units of Study without the Trade Book Pack (as shown in this product bundle).
About the Grade 5 Units
Fifth grade is a time for children to hone their intellectual independence. In the first unit, Interpretation Book Clubs: Analyzing Themes, students draw on a repertoire of ways for reading closely, noticing how story elements interact, understanding how different authors develop the same theme, and comparing and contrasting texts that develop a similar theme. In the second unit, Tackling Complexity: Moving Up Levels of Nonfiction, children investigate the ways nonfiction texts are becoming more complex, and they learn strategies to tackle these new challenges. This unit emphasizes the strong foundational skills, such as fluency, orienting to texts, and word solving, that are required to read complex nonfiction. In the third unit, Argument and Advocacy: Researching Debatable Issues, students read complex nonfiction texts to conduct research on a debatable topic, consider perspective and craft, evaluate arguments, and formulate their own evidence-based, ethical positions on issues. In the final unit for fifth grade, Fantasy Book Clubs: The Magic of Themes and Symbols, students work in clubs to become deeply immersed in the fantasy genre and further develop higher-level thinking skills to study how authors develop characters and themes over time. They think metaphorically as well as analytically, explore the quests and themes within and across their novels, and consider the implications of conflicts, themes, and lessons learned.
About the Series
Following on the success of the Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing, Lucy Calkins and her colleagues at the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project present a new series of Units of Study in Teaching Reading!
This series offers grade-by-grade curricula in reading designed to meet ambitious 21st century global standards. Drawing on learning gleaned from decades of research, curriculum development, and working shoulder-to-shoulder with students, teachers, and school leaders, this new reading series is rooted in the Project’s best practices and newest thinking. It includes state-of-the-art tools and methods for teaching reading, undergirded by the Project’s learning progressions in reading for literature and informational texts.
Components of the Grade 5 product bundle—with New Resources!
- Online Spanish translations of important student resources—includes Spanish translations to use with Reading Pathways, student checklists, Anchor Chart Sticky Notes, and numerous other classroom materials such as daily charts and folders. Also available are lists of Spanish-language mentor texts—New!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
Four Units of Study
- comprised of 2 units in fiction and 2 units in nonfiction
- lay out 4-5 weeks of instruction (16-18 sessions) in each unit
- include all of the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work needed to teach a comprehensive workshop curriculum
- model Lucy and her colleagues’ carefully crafted teaching moves and language
A Guide to the Reading Workshop, Intermediate Grades
- crystallizes the essential principles, methods, and structures of effective reading workshop instruction (The Guide, now available for separate purchase, can be an essential manual for principals, curriculum coordinators, coaches, and others who are supporting implementation of Units of Study—or for anyone wanting to learn more about reading workshop).
If… Then… Curriculum
- offers additional units of study
- presents if/then conferring scenarios that support targeted instruction and differentiation
Reading Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions
- organized around a grades 3-5 learning progression
- includes performance assessments, student checklists, and rubrics
View Now! Units of Study for Teaching Reading Video Orientations, Grades K-8
Save when you purchase related cost-saving bundles, with or without trade book packs:
Select the Grade-Level Units you need most, available both with and without the trade book packs
To learn more about the Units of Study for Teaching Reading series, visit UnitsofStudy.com