Written and designed to be included in the updated 2016 Second Edition, this new lesson book, Content Literacy (Primary), provides support for teaching comprehension across the curriculum including building knowledge and understanding.
Once students have had explicit instruction in the collection of strategies – and have learned how to use them independently and flexibly, Content Literacy engages them in lessons that rely on a repertoire of strategies for understanding.
Building on the teaching strategies and lessons in the Toolkit series, the new lessons integrate all comprehension strategies to more closely to meet today’s new standards and support content-area learning.
The lessons in Content Literacy help students apply multiple comprehension strategies to complex literacy tasks such as:
- how to read several pieces of text and synthesize the information
- how to talk to each other and collaborate on topics
- how to debate
- how to create an argument
- Includes new lessons to explicitly teach reading, writing, and thinking across disciplines: science, history, social studies, and other content areas.
- Helps students use a repertoire of strategies to build knowledge and understanding.
- Provides over two dozen new resources—articles, infographics, photo collections, primary sources, Thinksheets—to encourage close strategic reading and viewing.
- Models teaching practices that prompt discussion, debate, and critical analysis.
- Supports a classroom environment where purposeful collaboration and active investigation inspire kids’ curiosity and strategic spirits.
Note: Users of the original first edition of The Comprehension Toolkit series may choose to purchase the new Content Literacy lesson book to fill in their existing Toolkits. To facilitate use of these new lessons with either edition of the Toolkit, the book refers to strategy and lesson titles from the 6 strategy books -- not to specific pages. (This new title is included in the Second Edition.)