School-wide Purchase Recommendation: Choose the Grades K-5 Units of Study Series with the Trade Book Pack (as shown in this product bundle) if your library does not already include the mentor texts referenced in the Units. If you do not need the trade book pack, purchase the Grades K-5 Units of Study Series without the Trade Book Pack.
About the Series
Following on the success of the Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing, Lucy Calkins and her colleagues at the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project present a new series of Units of Study in Teaching Reading!
This series offers grade-by-grade curricula in reading designed to meet ambitious 21st century global standards. Drawing on learning gleaned from decades of research, curriculum development, and working shoulder-to-shoulder with students, teachers, and school leaders, this new reading series is rooted in the Project’s best practices and newest thinking. It includes state-of-the-art tools and methods for teaching reading, undergirded by the Project’s learning progressions in reading for literature and informational texts.
Components of the Series product bundle—with New Resources!
- Online Spanish translations of important student resources—includes Spanish translations to use with Reading Pathways, student checklists, Anchor Chart Sticky Notes, and numerous other classroom materials such as daily charts and folders. Also available are lists of Spanish-language mentor texts—New!
- Online Video Orientations—New!
Four Units of Study
- Grades K–2 include one foundational unit and three other units to address reading fiction and informational texts; Grades 3–5 each include two units in reading fiction and two in reading informational texts
- lay out 4-5 weeks of instruction (16-18 sessions) in each unit
- include all of the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work needed to teach a comprehensive workshop curriculum
- model Lucy and her colleagues’ carefully crafted teaching moves and language
A Guide to the Reading Workshop, Primary and Intermediate Grades
- crystallizes the essential principles, methods, and structures of effective reading workshop instruction (The Primary Grades and Intermediate Grades Guides, now available for separate purchase, can be essential manuals for principals, curriculum coordinators, coaches, and others who are supporting implementation of Units of Study—or for anyone wanting to learn more about reading workshop).
If… Then… Curriculum
- offers additional units of study
- presents if/then conferring scenarios that support targeted instruction and differentiation
Reading Pathways: Performance Assessments and Learning Progressions (Grades 3-5)
- organized around a grades 3-5 learning progression
- includes performance assessments, student checklists, and rubrics
View Now! Units of Study for Teaching Reading Video Orientations, Grades K-8
Save when you purchase related cost-saving bundles, with or without trade book packs:
Select the Grade-Level Units you need most, available both with and without the trade book packs
To learn more about the Units of Study for Teaching Reading series, visit UnitsofStudy.com